Barcelona supplied “the best response” to the “turmoil” off the pitch by convincingly beating Juventus in the Champions League, states midfielder Sergi Roberto.
It has been a whirlwind couple of days for the Spanish giants as they lost 3-1 to Real Madrid in El Clasico on Saturday before the club’s president Josep Maria Bartomeu announced his resignation on Tuesday.
However, they made it 2 wins from 2 in this season’s Champions League group phase with goals from Ousmane Dembele and Lionel Messi seeing off a bad Juventus side, who had Merih Demiral sent off late on for getting a second yellow card.
” The best action we might give to the chaos at the club is a display screen like this,” stated Roberto.
” Everybody has been yapping however the group merely wish to win games.”
Dembele opened the scoring when his deflected shot looped over Wojciech Szczesny in the Juventus objective.
Messi then finished up the win in interruption time when he coolly converted a penalty after alternative Ansu Fati had actually been fouled.
When the draw for the group phase had been made, this fixture stood out for the possibility of a Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi reunion for the first time in two years.
Nevertheless, Ronaldo was left out of the team after having another test for Covid-19 previously this week, with the Portugal international self-isolating considering that a positive test on 13 October.
Without him, Juventus lacked bite and although Alvaro Morata had the ball in the back of the web on 3 occasions, every one was eliminated by the Video Assistant Referee.
Success implies Barcelona are top of Group G, three points ahead of Juventus and Eager Beaver Kyiv.
Barcelona almost back to their best
Barcelona have actually been poor by their own high standards up until now this season, having won just two of their very first five La Liga video games, however there were looks of them back to their finest in this game.
Their passing was at times slick with Messi unsurprisingly at the heart of the best moments.
The triumph ought to perhaps have been by a higher margin versus a Juventus side that offered really little but after a difficult week, Barcelona will take the win as a step in the right direction.
” I’m very content with the football we played, with the outcome and especially with the character my group showed,” stated Barcelona employer Ronald Koeman.
” We developed a lot of objective possibilities and, honestly, I believe we should have ended up the match off much earlier.”
Juventus sensation Ronaldo’s lack
Ronaldo made a generally blistering start to the season with 3 objectives in Juventus’ very first two video games but he has actually not been included since 27 September after checking positive for coronavirus.
The Italians are certainly feeling his absence having now handled to win just once in the four video games without him.
They did not have a real cutting edge versus Barcelona, failing to sign up a single shot on target in the totality of this game.
The hosts might feel aggrieved that Morata had each of his strikes eliminated, however eventually Barcelona were deserved winners for a dominant display screen.
Offside Alvaro – the stats
- Barcelona have actually just suffered one defeat in their last 18 Uefa Champions League group stage games on the roadway, going unbeaten in each of the last 11.
- Juventus’ loss to Barcelona was just their second home defeat in their last 25 Champions League group stage games, the other a 2-1 loss to Manchester United in November 2018.
- Juventus failed to tape a shot on target in a Champions League home video game for the first time since 2003-04(when Opta have this data readily available).
- Merih Demiral was the 22 nd different Juventus player to be sent off in the Champions League, with the Italian side getting 7 more red cards than any other side in the competitors (27).
- Since the start of last season, no player has been captured offside on more celebrations in the Champions League than Álvaro Morata (13).
- Ousmane Dembele’s goal was his descent on scored from outside the box for Barcelona in all competitions considering that September 2018 versus PSV, also in the Champions League. His previous 11 goals had all been within.
- Since Lionel Messi’s very first Champions League campaign in 2004-05, only Cristiano Ronaldo (38) has provided more helps in the competitors than the Argentine (35).
- 1 Szczesny
- 16 Ju Cuadrado Scheduled at 74 mins
- 28 Demiral Reserved at 85 mins
- 19 Bonucci
- 13 Danilo
- 30 Bentancur Substituted for Arthur at83′ minutes
- 25 Rabiot Reserved at 79 mins Substituted for Bernardeschi at83′ minutes
- 44 Kulusevski Scheduled at 45 mins Alternatived To McKennie at75′ minutes
- 10 Dybala
- 22 Chiesa
- 9 Morata
- 5 Arthur
- 8 Ramsey
- 14 McKennie
- 31 Pinsoglio
- 33 Bernardeschi
- 35 de Winter
- 38 Frabotta
- 39 Portanova
- 47 Riccio
- 77 Buffon
- 13 Murara Neto
- 20 Roberto Reserved at 60 minutes
- 4 Araújo Substituted for Busquets at45′ minutes
- 15 Lenglet
- 18 Alba
- 8 Pjanic
- 21 de Jong
- 11 Dembélé Replacemented For Fati at66′ minutes
- 10 Messi
- 16 González Alternatived To Braithwaite at90 2′ minutes
- 7 Griezmann Substituted for Firpo at89′ minutes
- 2 Dest
- 5 Busquets
- 6 Aleñá
- 9 Braithwaite
- 12 Puig
- 17 Machado Trincão
- 22 Fati
- 24 Firpo
- 26 Peña
- 36 Tenas
Match ends, Juventus 0, Barcelona 2.
2nd Half ends, Juventus 0, Barcelona 2.
Attempt blocked. Paulo Dybala (Juventus) left footed shot from a tough angle and long range left wing is obstructed.
Foul by Sergio Busquets (Barcelona).
Paulo Dybala (Juventus) wins a totally free kick on the left wing.
Effort obstructed. Paulo Dybala (Juventus) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Álvaro Morata.
Foul by Clément Lenglet (Barcelona).
Federico Chiesa (Juventus) wins a complimentary kick on the extreme right.
Hand ball by Álvaro Morata (Juventus).
Corner, Juventus. Yielded by Ansu Fati.
Replacement, Barcelona. Martin Braithwaite replaces Pedri.
Objective! Juventus 0, Barcelona 2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) transforms the charge with a left footed shot to the top left corner.
Charge Barcelona. Ansu Fati draws a foul in the penalty area.
Charge yielded by Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus) after a nasty in the charge location.
Replacement, Barcelona. Junior Firpo replaces Antoine Griezmann.
Foul by Pedri (Barcelona).
Juan Cuadrado (Juventus) wins a totally free kick in the protective half.
Foul by Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona).
Federico Chiesa (Juventus) wins a complimentary kick in the defensive half.
2nd yellow card to Merih Demiral (Juventus) for a bad foul.
- Halloween and pumpkins: How can you maximize them?
- Children in Need: Discover how you can get included and make a difference